Canva Guide for Beginners
What is Canva
Design tool for the non-techy, non-designer, average person who want to create awesome graphics. As long as you know how to click, double-click, drag and drop and right-click, you can use canva. It’s a super duper easy, Do it Yourself (DIY) online design tool. Canva basically just said “Here! We’ll created a design for anything you need. You just put your own little spin on it.” So all you have to do is select a design and replace it with your own colors, text or images. If you’re a digital marketer, this is like the Fairy Marketing Godmother coming down herself and sprinkling you with a little design magic. “Here you go hun. I know you were struggling with designs – and you didn’t want to spend those extra coins on a designer – so use this. Thank me later.”
Follow me on Canva: https://www.canva.com/sociallynina
What can you create with Canva?
Let’s just say anything lol. In Canva, you can create digital graphics for social media, printable flyers and greeting cards, logos, business cards, visual resumes, menus… so yeah anything. I’ve included a partial list of design templates below. Visit the Canva Design Templates page to see a list of all of their online design templates. They continue to add new templates so the list is pretty long. #WIN
Where can you get help?
- Subscribe to My YouTube Channel and take a look at my Canva Tutorials – How to use Canva online design tool
- Pink Boss Acadamy – Social Media Training Hub
- Sign up for my FREE Canva Course – How to make 30 designs in 30 minutes
- Visit Canva’s Design School for interactive tutorials and guides
- Check out Canva’s support page
- If the site seems to be down, check the Canva Uptime Status page for outage updates
- Report inappropriate content (yes it’s ok to be a snitch sometimes – for the love of kids)
How much does Canva cost?
Check this link out for the most up to date info on Canva’s pricing and new offerings.
- Canva Web is FREE
- Canva at Work is $119.40 ($9.95/month) if purchased annually or $12.95 monthly
- Canva for Non-Profit is free if you are approved for their Non-Profit Program
- Canva for Education is a free account (same account as normal users)
- Canva Enterprise is coming soon. No pricing available yet.
How to setup a Free Canva account
Create a new Canva account
You can create a new Canva account at www.canva.com for free. There are three different options for signing up:
- Facebook (recommended)
Setup your Social Media Profile
Select the arrow next to your name (top right corner) then select Your Personal Profile.
Update the following:
- Profile Name (Add your Business Name and Purpose here)
- Handle – this will ultimately be your URL for example http://canva.com/8020lyfe
- Website URL
Upload Brand Collateral
- Logos – tutorial coming soon
- Photos – tutorial coming soon
The rule of thumb for selecting fonts
- Longer reading should have serif (fancy font)
- Shorter reading should have sans serif fonts
- Children’s books should be sans serif because it’s easier for an audience that is just learning to read to see the words clearly.
- ….. UMMM Wait a minute… if sans-serif is easier to read then why wouldn’t you just use sans serif? But I digest, I’m not the expert on this. But you know who is? Fonts.com
Click here for a great article comparing Serif vs Sans Serif and to help you select when to use which font, I know what you’re saying “eew read an article about fonts? Whet?” But believe me, you’re going to at least want to skim through it to get a few points.
Then use whichever looks best on the screen.
Canva Font Pairing Tool
Canva’s Typography Made Easy tool helps you select the right Font Combinations to work with. So you don’t have to have any design experience to figure out which fonts match.
You’ll need at least two fonts; however, I suggest getting a script or bold font to help you stand out a little.
- Pick one Serif font (fancy decorative)
- Pick one Sans Serif font (plain jane)
- Pick one stand out font – this is usually a script or something else
Setup Your Brand Defaults
- Set Colors – – tutorial coming soon
- Upload your fonts – tutorial coming soon
Canva Hidden Tips and Tricks
Canva Online Design Tools
- Canva Photo Editor
- Canva Font Combinations/ Typography
- Canva Color Palette
- Stock Photos by Canva for as low as $1
- FREE Downloadable Icons by Canva
- Design Ideas by Canva
Apply to Contribute Designs and Photos
Canva at Work / Canva Paid Account
Fix Common Issues
- Fix problems with Canva images that look blurry when printing
- Fix problem where your Canva designs aren’t saving
New Canva Features (Coming Soon)
New Canva Print Coming Soon CLICK HERE to sign up